Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Welcome - Lay Back and Enjoy

So welcome to my new blog, I'm actually moving up in the blogging world from relying on a laughable myspace blog that maybe ten people will read to this... where I may get up to twelve. My name's Razor and I titled my blog "American Razor" because it seems that in our divided country, we seem to forget that we're all Americans. The Bush Administration has managed to somehow convince people that they're the "real" Americans and anyone with a dissenting opinion is just part of the "blame America first" crowd. Bullshit. This is my country too, and I'm going to exercise my right to free speech in the most vulgar, offensive way possible, because that's what the First Amendment is all about.

So let's talk politics, shall we? I will make it no secret that I'm all about Barack Obama in the 2008 election - yes, I got a mean case of Obamania. Despite that, I try to remain as objective as possible, I really do, although the opposing side just makes it so damn hard sometimes. Take for instance, the current story about Clayton Williams, the man who recently raised $300,000 for John McCain. The problem? Mr. Williams once made this joke about rape:

"If it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it"

Wow. One more time, this is him talking about someone being sexually assaulted in the most heinous way possible:

"If it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it"

So, there was a fundraising event set up between McCain and Williams which was canceled due to this remark resurfacing in the media. McCain still took the $300,00 but he just didn't want to be seen in public with Mr. Williams.

Now, as for the remark, it's horrible and just utterly stupid to say, but if you look through Clayton Williams library of hilariously moronic quotes, you'll see it's par for the course for this particular idiot. I do not think that this guy's views reflect on the opinions of John McCain, but I can't help but still be outraged; if Mr. Williams supported Obama, there would be a firestorm from the right-wing media. The story is hurting McCain a little bit, but if the tables were turned, we'd be talking about this for the next month and a half, just like we did to the Reverend Wright issue.

Oh I know, that was Obama's PASTOR! Shock and horror, a religious man saying crazy shit, I'm stunned! So that gets made into a huge issue while McCain seeking out the endorsement from John Hagee, the crazy pastor who called Catholicism "the great whore," makes minor waves in the media. The corrupt Tony Rezko raises money for Obama, it becomes a huge deal, Obama gives the money to charity; meanwhile, McCain gets $300,000 from a guy who thinks women should just lay back and enjoy their rape and keeps the cash. Are we seeing the picture I'm painting here?

I'll hand it to the Republicans, they do know how to do one thing right - campaign. Even when they have a lame duck president, a weak candidate and are the minority in congress, they can still make the liberals out to be "out of touch" with the rest of America. McCain can still look like the experienced candidate, even while admitting to being in agreement with the worst president in history most of the time. Of course, it doesn't hurt when you have an entire news organization in your party's back pocket to divert attention from your problems while making up ones for your rivals, so I can't say I'm shocked that this story has played out like this.

So while I'm not condemning McCain for Clayton Williams' remarks that were made 18 years ago, I'm not going to cut him any slack over it either. This is merely a message to the Republican Smear Machine - it certainly must suck when those tables are turned. We're in the age of the internet, everything you've ever said in public can be accessed in a quick trip to YouTube, maybe the Right should keep that in mind when they decide to get really dirty this Fall. The internet is a place where a lot of people have a lot of free time on their hands and I bet a lot of them might just be liberals who are still bitter about the one-sided slime-fest that was the 2004 presidential election.

I'm just one of them.

No comments: